Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Richard Tuschman's Hopper Meditations

There's been a bit of a lull here, but time to get posting items of interest again as I've got a brand new batch of fantastic students for the spring semester. Photo II students might find particular interest in this series by Richard Tuschmann, as it relates so nicely to their first assignment exploring color, light and narrative.  
From the series, Hopper Meditations by Richard Tuschman (image sourced from Explorers.com)
I came across these images yesterday when they come through my newsfeed via the Art Photo Index (a great resource).  I was immediately captivated by Tuschmann's take on Edward Hopper's painterly style - although, after a more prolonged look, I'm not sure how I feel about the somewhat pictorialist strategy employed, which seems to be unnecessarily used.  The selective focus (or post-processing blur?) calls too much attention to itself and the grainy quality reads as a bit of heavy-handed filter use (it could indeed be scanned film grain, but I'm noticing it in a way that makes it a bit distracting to me).

Overall, they just seem a bit too "arted up."  I recognize that Tuschmann is deliberately aligning these works with paintings, but for me they may be stronger without all the extra, stylistic artifice (the fabricated scenes, set design, positioning of figures and theatrical lighting in and of themselves are where the strength of the work really seems to lie).

No comments:

Post a Comment